Garner Parks & Recreation Department
2018 Summer Job Opportunities
1) Senior Guards and Lifeguards - The Garner Aquatic Center is now accepting applications for senior guards and lifeguards for the 2018 summer season. Take pleasure in one of the most rewarding and enjoyable jobs in the area, by becoming a member of the Garner Aquatic Center Team. Applicants must be 15 years old by May 15, but do not need to be certified when applying. However, applicants are responsible for obtaining lifeguard certification prior to starting at the G.A.C. Starting wage will be $8.00 with a $0.15 increase for each year you have worked at the G.A.C. WSI certified guards will received an additional $0.25 increase. Senior guards will receive an additional $0.25 increase. Application deadline is Monday, March 12.
- New lifeguards will be responsible for paying for lifeguard certification course fees, but if they work a minimum of 150 hours during the first summer, they will be reimbursed half of the course fees. If they return a second summer & work a minimum of 150 hours, they will be reimbursed the second half of the course fees.
2) Aquatics Concession Staff - Still want to be part of the Garner Aquatic Center Team, but not as a lifeguard? Then join the Concession & Admission staff. Staff is in charge of the preparation and operation of retail side of the Aquatic Center. Applicants must be 14 years of age or older. Application deadline is Monday, March 12. Starting hourly wage of $7.00/hr.
3) Aquatics Cleaning Crew - The Garner Aquatic Center is looking for responsible individuals for the morning cleaning crew. These members work Monday-Friday mornings & are responsible for cleaning, maintaining, and preparing the facility for opening. Applicants must be 14 years of age or older. Application deadline is Monday, March 12. Starting hourly wage of $7.00/hr.
4) Youth Softball & Baseball Coaches - The Garner Recreation Department is looking for dependable and responsible people to coach the youth summer baseball and softball teams during the morning hours in the summer. Coaches will prepare the youth for the games that will be played in the evening hours. Application deadline is Monday, April 2. Hourly wage of $8.50/hr.
5) Little League Umpires - The Garner Recreation Department is looking for reliable people to ump the youth little league home games. Games which are scheduled as doubleheaders will be held on Monday - Friday evenings starting at 6:00 pm. Application deadline is Monday, April 2. Hourly wage of $15/hr.
6) Seasonal Park Maintenance - The Garner Park and Recreation Department is looking for a seasonal maintenance worker. Work will include mowing and trimming of public grounds, assist with park maintenance, and other city work as needed. Applicants must be 18 years of age. Application deadline is Monday, April 2. Starting wage range of $8.52 - $10.20.
Applications can be printed off at www.garneriowa.org or picked up & dropped off at the VMRC.
All G.A.C. applications must be turned in by March 12, 2018 @ 9:00 p.m. to the VMRC.
All coaching, umpire, & park maintenance applications must be turned in by April 2, 2018 @ 9:00 p.m. to the VMRC
VMRC & Recreation Applications can be printed off at www.garneriowa.org or picked up and dropped off at Veterans Memorial Recreation Center. If you have any questions, contact Sarah Swanson at email@example.com or 641- 860-0054. Positions are open until filled. The City of Garner is an Equal Opportunity Employer.